The Iliou Melathron is located in downtown Athens.
It was built in 1878-1879 and designed by the German architect
Ernst Ziller, as the residence of the Schliemann family.
Its name, meaning the Palace of Troy, was associated with the
discovery of the ancient city by Heinrich Schliemann.
It is a two-storey building impressively decorated. The first floor
functioned mainly as the place where the social life of the family
unfolded. The Hesperides Hall was designed for the receptions
and the literature salon for literary evenings; the guest room and the
dining room were situated around a central area. The bedrooms, offices
and the library were on the second floor. The auxiliary areas, the
servantsí rooms and a hall where the artifacts from the excavations in
Troy were in display, were located on the ground floor. The
coach-house and the stable were at the back of the house in the big